Image: Recycling materials is the only way forward. Credit: desacanggu.badungkab.go.id
The Badung district government continues to discuss the best way to overcome the trash dump issue after Suwung landfill is closed to it at the end of the month. At the moment, the government states that there are two temporary options. The Green House at the government area and buildings in Sempidi or deliver them to 3R (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) Integrated Waste Management Areas (TPST) near Mengwi Terminal.
Previously, the Bali provincial government provided a solution by offering their owned land for landfill, in the Ungasan, Canggu, and Sobangan areas but that has been rejected by residents.
The daily average of trash build up in Badung district now reaches approx. 281 tons, with 19.25 tons of that absorbed by all the TPSTs in Badung, while the rest is delivered to Suwung.
The Head of Badung District Environment Board (DLHK), I Putu Eka Merthawan, confirmed the options when he was interviewed on Tuesday. He said that both of the options are temporary because the government is still discussing the final location that will be set as the landfill area in Badung.
“Yes, the landfill construction is still in process, as it needs a large area to make it. We have reviewed two locations, Green House at the Badung Government Center which stands on 25 are (2500 m2 of land), and 3R TPST on Mengwitani near Mengwi Terminal which stands on 50 are of land,” he said to balipost.com.
He also confirmed that they used existing waste management areas for a temporary solution while waiting for the new landfill plan. “Actually we can optimize the existing landfills. The trash that is collected from residents could be recycled there. And we definitely won’t construct an open landfill, we will construct a closed one. The trash that is delivered there can be recycled immediately,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Head of PDI Perjuangan Party, I Gusti Anom Gumanti, said that the provincial government should give at least a year to the Badung District government before they forbid them delivering rubbish to Suwung. He hoped that the governor can mediate the issue with related parties. “This trash issue is quite sensitive for the Badung District government, because Badung is the main tourism in Bali and even in Indonesia and it can affect the Badung and Bali tourism industry,” he said.
He also said that Badung District government plans to fully manage their own trash by 2021 and they have constructed 1,000 village-based trash banks. The Badung District government has also commanded all villages and sub-villages to construct 3R TPST and they also planned to construct a landfill with eco-green waste management technology, but both of them need time.
In an article in NusaBali this morning it was stated that the rubbish problem has also been discussed in Jakarta. It was revealed, the issue of the Suwung rubbish dump was briefly discussed by President Jokowi in a limited cabinet meeting at the Jakarta State Palace recently as stated by Govenor Koster yesterday in Denpasar.
“Yes, the issue of the Suwung rubbish dump has been discussed in a limited meeting chaired by President Jokowi at the State Palace. We should be ashamed. Imagine, just because the garbage issue is not over, President Jokowi has intervened,” Governor Koster said at the plenary session yesterday afternoon.
According to Koster, the handling of the waste problem at the Suwung dump has been decided. In this decision Tabanan and Gianyar Regencies won’t be sending waste to the Suwung landfill. Only Denpasar City can send trash to Suwung. While Badung Regency, has been given a month to stop sending waste to Suwung. During this month, Badung is only allowed to send garbage to the Suwung landfill with a maximum of 15 trucks per day.