Image: No Badung fireworks this year on Kuta Beach this New Year’s Eve. FLICKR
Things are obviously tough for everyone this year. The Badung District government announced that they will not hold New Year’s Eve celebrations this year, which usually culminated in a large fireworks display on Kuta beach.
The Head of the Badung Tourism Board, I Made Badra, told the press that the cause was budgetary. “I hope we can hold the show again in 2020, with the money being taken from the 2020 Regional Budget,” he told nusabali.com on Saturday.
Even though the government will not hold the New Year’s Eve celebrations this year, they will let the hotels do it themselves. “The point is we will leave it to the Badung industry to do it,” he added.
He also said that the celebration will not be affected even if the fireworks shows are held at several locations and not centralized like usual. (The entire beach area from Canggu to Kuta normally comes to life with fireworks on NYE. Ed)
Badra also believes that tourist visits will still increase at the end of 2019. Because, just like previous years, many tourists will vacation in Bali at the end of the year. Usually almost all destinations around Bali, especially Badung, are certainly bursting at the seams at the end of the year. “We are optimistic the targeted 6 million tourist visits to Bali will be achieved this year,” said Badra.
The Badung government spent around Rp 900 million to hold the New Year’s Eve celebration in front of Citadines Hotel, Kuta, last year. The celebration included 5,000 fireworks during 15 minutes and featured local bands and other entertainment, which captured the imagination of the thousands that attended.